Taken loosely from Ortega's Quick & Easy Recipe: (I apologize in advance because I don't measure ingredients- just feel it out and taste/add till it's *right*!)
- ~1lb of Ground Beef (I like 15% fat for better flavor)
- 2 cans (~15oz) of red kidney beans (don't drain!)
- 1 jar (~16 oz) of your favorite salsa
- 2/3 cup of water
- a couple of TBSP chili powder
- maybe another TBSP of cumin
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1-2 TSP Oregano
- 2-3 cloves of chopped garlic
- Sour cream to serve
- Shredded cheddar or Mexican cheese blend to serve
- Chopped cilantro (optional, but it's yummy!)
- GOOD tortilla chips (our current favorites are Xochitl Stone Ground or My Nana's Chips)
Time to prepare: ~20 min
Serves: I'm not sure how many it serves, but it cooks fast enough that you can make it again! Seriously though, it feeds our family of 2 adults, 2 school-age kids (& a taste for the baby) and usually enough for a bowl or 2 left over for lunch the next day. So, maybe double or triple it if you're having a party.
I really hate using 10 pots to make something that fits in one so I use my anodized stock pot to brown the beef- no additional oil needed. While browning, add some pepper to flavor it. When the beef is no longer pink add the kidney beans (juice and all), the water & the salsa. Stir it up!
Now, add your spices- Chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper (taste before you add), oregano and garlic. Stir it and taste. Add whatever you think is missing- more spice, hot sauce, kitchen sink... Then, cover it and simmer for 15 min. Voila! It's done!
Serve it right away with chips, sour cream, cheese & cilantro. :)
Tip: this also works great for those fairly often "Crap! I need to make dinner fast!" nights as long as you keep most of the ingredients on hand.